How to become a better version of yourself?
There are many skills that you can train yourself in order to become a better version of yourself.
In order to maximize your potential you must first understand that as a human being you consist of several “layers”.
This is knowledge that has been passed through generations from the times of Plato, Zoroaster and Buddha.
And scientifically speaking, it makes sense too.
Basically, every human have four basic cores:
- Physical – this is your body, with which you interact with the world;
- Mental – this is your mind, which you use to understand your place in the universe;
- Emotional – this inner core allows you to feel emotions;
- Spiritual – and finally the core of eternal soul.
These four cores are what make you as whole living and feeling human being.
Now, let’s dive into specific practices which you can use in your everyday life to increase you self-awareness and consciousness.
- Drink more water. There are countless studies on this one. Basically, our bodies are made up of 90% water. It’s important to keep yourself hydrated. Drinking sufficient amount of water helps clear out toxins in your body. Drinking water also promotes weight loss by increasing metabolism. It makes it easier to exercise – it creates better exercise experience – this leads us into the next point.
- Cardio exercises. Our body is made up of muscle tissues. For example, our heart is one big muscle pumping blood. It’s not a bad idea to make it stronger by doing some exercise. Even if its light exercises like walking, or rope jumping gives you boost in your energy levels that helps you to feel more positive.
- Spend more time in nature. Nature is the perfect place to sit back and relax. Try it yourself. Breath in deeply, allow the oxygen to circulate through your lungs. Feel the gentle sunshine of the sun. It helps you to retain your levels of vitamin D. Listening to nature sounds allows you to practice mindfulness.
- Set Personal Goals. This might seem contradicting, but goal setting is the most important thing you can do for your mental being. It helps you to rationalize what you want and how far you from achieving these goals. It’s also a good boost for your motivation as it helps you to be aware of the things you need to do. This is a mindfulness exercise that helps to keep you on track.
- Be Generous. Being benevolent should be your small daily goal. Treat people with kindness! Ever heard of harmonic resonance? Basically, when an object vibrating at one frequency is placed close enough to a similar object that vibrates at the same frequency, the vibrations from the first object slowly entrain the second object. It works on a massive scale too. The universe will always reward positive frequencies with more positivity. Being generous helps you to even be happier with yourself. If you don’t believe it, or don’t have the luxury to be kind, you might want to try random act of kindness. Smile to a random person every morning and see the results for yourself.
- Reading quality books. Reading has various benefits. My favorite is that it increases your ability to concentrate, increases your abstract thinking and makes you smarter.
- Give Social Media a Break. Social media might seem like a technological breakthrough that connects people. But studies show that at its core it is very toxic environment that disconnects people in real life. The endless distraction and constant comparison yourself with other people can cause negative effects on your mind. Pay attention to real life relationships and connect with people more in person.
- Try something new. Trying new things forms new neural pathways in your brain. You also get memorable experiences which leads to a more positive outlook on life. If you can learn to enjoy simple and new things with smile, then you got this in your life.
- Let go of negative emotion. Anger, sorrow, shame are not very good for you. These are going to consume you like a nasty disease. If you harbor these emotions you will start radiating it and attract even more negativity in your life. The most important thing is not just to control, or pent up emotions, but letting go. Letting go neutralizes negativity and allows you to harbor more favorable emotions.
- This is a mindfulness exercise that helps increasing the overall quality of your life. Find some time for yourself. Remove all the distractions from your sight. Start asking yourself questions like: “Who am I?” What is my purpose in life? Who do I want to become?” Asking these will evoke an inner conversation with your true self about what you really want and wish to achieve in this life.
- This is more than just a physical exercise. Yoga is used to channel the inner energies and the energies of the universe throughout your body – in a fluid motion.
- Most people nowadays relate meditation to sitting in a lotus position with legs crossed, but you can practice it lying on the bed. If you practice meditation you are creating a connection with the universe where your mind and soul are in unison with.
I’ve found that using the given exercises is the best way to become a better version of yourself. My personal advice would be: do not start all these exercises at once!
Instead, take small incremental steps.
If something doesn’t click with you, try something different.
Be sure to take breaks and move on! In the end small measurements will lead you to life changing results.